For Prospective Customers
BroadHunt has been designed as a peer-to-peer platform with two groups of users, Buyers and Expert Shoppers. Here’s how it works:
- The Buyer posts a search request (or ‘Hunt’), including product details and a set timeframe;
- An Initial Hunt Fee (currently $20) is paid before the search is conducted. We require a small payment in advance to ensure that the Buyer has a genuine need before several Expert Shoppers spend time on the Hunt;
- Buyer sits back with a cocktail while Expert Shoppers compete to find matching products at the best possible prices;
- Expert Shoppers may choose whether they wish to take part in each particular Hunt. There is no commitment required.
- Expert Shoppers may ask questions of the Buyer via BroadHunt, seeking clarification where necessary;
- Participating Expert Shoppers submit their Results during the time window set by the Buyer. These should contain the kind of hidden gems the Buyers wouldn’t easily find themselves;
- BroadHunt ensures Results meet the Buyer’s criteria by vetting them to remove any ineligible entries;
- Buyer reviews each Result and selects a winner, paying the balance of the Reward to unlock supplier details.
- If a Buyer so chooses, they may select a winner before the timeframe has elapsed and terminate the Hunt early;
- The Buyer makes the purchase directly from the supplier;
- We allow 2 weeks for the Buyer to notify BroadHunt of any issues with the purchase and to request a refund.
A Buyer places a search request on BroadHunt for a product or service, listing the details of a product/service they want or the set of ‘must-have’ criteria (e.g. product dimensions, maximum price, location, etc). They can also add any preferences (i.e. criteria which are nice-to-have but not essential). The Buyer also sets the timeframe.
The Buyer then sits back with a cocktail in hand while the Expert Shoppers compete to source the best bargains. (Cocktail not included)
Once the Search Request is placed, Expert Shoppers skilled in the respective category of product/service can then commence a search on behalf of the Buyer.
They submit matching Results to the BroadHunt website/app. A matching Result will generally include the specific product, specific supplier, third party promotions (if relevant) and specific price.
These Results should contain deals that are not easy to find – i.e. going beyond the deals available directly from suppliers or advertised online.
If a price has been negotiated with a supplier by the Expert Shopper, the Result submitted must include the name or ID of the retailer’s staff member that agreed the price.
Each Expert Shopper may submit more than one Result.
You can remain anonymous as a Buyer. Expert Shoppers do not see your contact details unless you select them as the winner of a Hunt.
You will not receive any calls or emails from Expert Shoppers during the Hunt, and only the submitter of a deal you select as winner will be provided with your contact details.
Today, we are limited to New Cars in Australia.
In theory, BroadHunt may be used for any product or service. However in practice, a hunt for low value items is unlikely to make sense, given the Expert Shoppers’ time and the expected Rewards.
We expect most searches to be for products that retail at over $1,000.
The product and service categories that will drive the majority of searches are:
- House purchases & rentals
- Household utilities
- Household major appliances, minor appliances & furniture
- Entertainment (AV equipment, computers, tablets, consoles)
- Cellular phones & plans
- Vacations (hotels, flights, rental cars)
- Financial services (mortgages, loans, savings, investments, insurances)
Please note that our ability to offer hunts for Financial Service products may vary by region, depending on local regulations.
A study of prices by drive.com.au across 8 car brokers & salary packaging firms found the average range of prices was 8.6%. So how can you be sure to pick the best buyers’ agent?
Because our New Car hunts use experts to source quotes from a range of competing car dealerships, we are confident we will outperform almost any other source.
Typical savings for new vehicles exceed 5-10% of the retail price. To get a quick estimate for your specific vehicle, use our Quick Savings Calculator.
We expect typical savings for Household major appliances and entertainment equipment to exceed 20% of the retail price.
Savings naturally vary depending on the category, the product margin, and the Buyer’s criteria. Buyers who allow more flexibility are likely to get larger savings.
To get the best deal on a New Car, you pay $20 up front. Once you see the deals and prices available, you pay the balance of the reward to reveal the specific source (currently $100).
Please don’t compare these costs with the advertised fees from car brokers. They typically have a low headline rate and make their money through commission from the dealerships. Those dealerships have to inflate the vehicle price to pay the broker.
The truth is, you end up paying one way or another, but using BroadHunt, you benefit from multiple brokers having to compete to earn your reward. It makes them try harder.
BroadHunt sets the Reward for the search based on the product type. Each order form will contain the price.
We will set it at around 5% of retail price for Major Appliances with variations based on the type of search (with product Advice or without) and duration.
When you create the request, you specify the timescale for search results to be delivered. You may well start to receive results well before the deadline you set.
Expert Shoppers are incentivised to submit their results early, as you have the option to terminate the Hunt early if an Expert Shopper has discovered a suitable product. This can be useful if you don’t want to wait any longer for further results to roll in.
BroadHunt is committed to ensuring Buyers and Expert Shoppers benefit from using our platform.
There are a couple of ways to ensure you, as a Buyer, don’t receive irrelevant or poor quality Results.
- Ensure you set the right criteria. If saving money is important to you, you can set a maximum price or minimum discount to retail price. If quick delivery is important, set the availability and shipping speed criteria accordingly.
- We screen all submissions to ensure they meet your ‘must-have’ criteria. Sometimes we will pass on close matches to give you the option of accepting them. They don’t affect your right to a refund.
- We will enable ratings to be provided as feedback for the Expert Shoppers. Expert Shoppers that fall below our required feedback levels will no longer be eligible to compete for new requests.
If you believe you would find a better price yourself, you can challenge our Expert Shoppers to compete with that price. If they fail to beat it, there is no cost for your search. The money is returned to you in full.
BroadHunt currently operates in Australia. We will aim to target USA and the United Kingdom in the near future.
We hope to extend to other countries over time.
For Prospective Expert Shoppers
Some people enjoy shopping. Maybe that’s you? Shopping is its own reward.
Some people like helping others. Altruism may be your #1 driver.
Some are motivated by competition. We will soon be running league tables to show who our best Expert Shoppers are in each category. In time, we will enable you to compete against a closed pool of your friends.
Some just want to earn money, and that’s fine too.
You can make money without spending a cent on advertising, marketing, technology, staff, rent, etc. All you need is access to email and access to great deals.
It is true that you could do the work and not win the round. But this is no different to any salesperson who is competing for business against their competitors. The major difference here is that Buyers have paid a fee upfront, so they are legitimate Buyers and not time wasters.
If you only want to do work with guaranteed pay, BroadHunt is not for you. If you back yourself to be a true Expert, we want you to be part of our community!
For new cars, the Reward for Expert Shoppers must be included within the price provided. In this category, Expert Shoppers are businesses in the automotive industry and therefore are capable of receiving commission payments.
The Rewards are paid through the platform and go to the Expert Shopper who provides the Buyer with the winning finding.
For New Car searches, the Reward is the Platform Fee.
The Platform Fee is 20% of the Reward amount, with the Expert Shopper receiving 80%. Payment fees such as credit card fees are split in the same proportion.
The Buyer sets a deadline for their search. When the deadline is reached, we ask the Buyer to select a winner from the list of deals they have received (although they may choose to select the winner and end the hunt early).
We then allow 2 weeks before the Reward is paid out, which enables Buyers to report any issues with accessing the deals (for instance, if Expert Shoppers were to report a deal that didn’t actually exist). Expert Shopper receive their fee after the two weeks has elapsed.
Expert Shoppers on the platform are not employees of BroadHunt; rather, they are independent contractors.
Yes, it is often important to seek clarification for certain requests.
Clarification seeks not only to refine the product search, but also other aspects of the Buying process. For instance, some Buyers are willing to establish membership accounts or apply for ancillary products in order to make savings, while others may not want the additional effort.
We will soon offer Buyers the option of setting some preferences up-front.
To preserve privacy, we ask that questions be submitted via the platform.
Expert Shoppers with a strong knowledge of the local market are likely to outperform others. Therefore, we are initially be looking for Expert Shoppers in Australia.
We are also starting to onboard Expert Shoppers in USA and UK, in preparation for launch.
However, there is also a possible benefit from enabling other English-speaking people in other countries to participate. We are seeking legal advice on any legal issues this may give rise to, such as identify verification requirements or overseas employment laws.
It is your responsibility to ensure you comply with the contractual requirements of any third-parties, including your employer, organisations you are a member of, or other sources.
The first step is simple. Complete the Expert Shopper Joining Form.
We screen all applicants to ensure they have an appropriate level of expertise and to understand the product categories and regions they align with.
You can remain anonymous as an Expert Shopper. Other Expert Shoppers do not see your contact details.
Buyers do not need access to your contact details, unless you list yourself as the supplier of the product when you submit a deal.